Thursday, February 07, 2008

Cuba:Journal Entry #2



January 30th
(this is the part of the trip I try inserting spanish into my writing, I find it a little embarrassing, but it helped me learn, so whatever works right!)
I’ve learned mucho about myself these past few days. I’m lonely, tired & hungry, plus I’m finding out that I’m broke. I will barely survive off of $20 cuc per day, which is about $22 usd (actually $18).
This town is bonita! Although I’m ALREADY getting tired of it… I’m not sure if I’m using that correctly…”This town is bonita.”?? I guess I’ll never know…(till Audrey tells me back home.)
Today was spent traveling by foot all throughout the town. Central Cuba, Cuba Libre & Vedado where I live ( for 5 mas days) I had a "tour guide" & I think his name was Carlos…or was it Miguel? Shoot! I better find out. I’m horrible w/ names!
I took about 300 pictures w/ my 28mm 1.8 lens. I just switched back to my 24-105 4.0 because I thought I could sit on the roof of the casa & write this. El casa owner said I couldn’t…what the heck? Why not? Oh well, I guess I'll sit on the street.
While purchasing drinks (mojitos) today for my friend & I, I finally figured out the 2 kinds of dinero…Cuban pesos & Cuban national pesos (CUC). It’s a confusing mess & it looks like locals use 1 while tourist use another. Corrupt you say? Well maybe…but 1 might try to take ADVANTAGE too if 1 only made as much as some of theses people do… 180 cuc a month? That’s nothing! *** Now I just have to get my hands on some local cash.
Anyways manana I’m supposed to hit the playa w/ Miguel ( or Carlos?) hopefully the price won’t be crazy! I’m not living like a tourist here…I’m living like a local but w/o the language advantage. I don’t know when I’m being cheated or when I’m cheating.
The biggest worry right now is I haven’t been able to notify home of my arrival. This county is shut off from the world! Its really different from what I am used to. I hope the fam isn’t too worried…I’ve tried collect calling & I can’t afford to buy a calling card ... I bet I’m more worried then Audrey & everyone HAHA! They probably know I’m fine. Lonely but fine :)
I’m being flirted w/ right now… HAHA! A grupo of 4 boys & 1 girl just invited me out tonight @ 9pm…
Anyways… So I have baseball @ 7 & out on the town @ 9.
I love how everyone is so open here.
If only I knew everything they were saying!
Haha!
I need to know much more Spanish! Ahh!
Alright, that’s it for now… my butt is sore from this park bench. I’m mucho thirsty! Maybe I’ll go back to mi casa & drink that Leche. Although I’m sure I’ll regret it later. (the Leche was saved from breakfast, along with a few scraps of pan (bread) and a mini banana)


*** I found out later that the Cuban's make alot LESS (More like 50 CUC a month) not sure if this is totally true.



Here are some images I took today.


Morning view


Another Amigo I met randomly.


Platinos.



Cliche.




rabid dog on crack. As I saw it.

AfroCubano zone.

A legit Mojito

Miguel (as I confirmed when i had him write down his contact info a few days later)
Miguel and his families home. Notice the random air vents and messed up furniture.

closer up.

Its like this on every corner!

Space research?



The market



No comments: