Tuesday, July 01, 2008

CA. Cell phone Law update.


I don't want any of my readers getting ticketed for not being in the know.
So heres the updated info

STARTING TODAY!!!

• The use of handheld telephones while driving is strictly prohibited and enforced with a zero-tolerance policy. Motorists over the age of 18 are permitted to use hands-free headsets.

•No driver under the age of 18 is allowed to use phones in any capacity behind the wheel. Even using a hands-free headset is punishable.

-LBpost.com


Some questions I found useful:

Q: Will I receive a point on my drivers license if I�m convicted for a violation of the wireless telephone law?

A: NO. The violation is a reportable offense: however, DMV will not assign a violation point.

Q: What are the fines if I'm convicted?

A: The base fine for the FIRST offense is $20 and $50 for subsequent convictions. According to the Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule, with the addition of penalty assessments, a first offense is $76 and a second offense is $190.

Q: Can I be pulled over by a law enforcement officer for using my handheld wireless telephone?

A: YES. A law enforcement officer can pull you over just for this infraction.

Q: What if I need to use my telephone during an emergency, and I do not have a hands- free device?

A: The law allows a driver to use a wireless telephone to make emergency calls to a law enforcement agency, a medical provider, the fire department, or other emergency services agency.

18 and under:

Q: If I have my parent(s) or someone age 25 years or older in the car with me, may I use my wireless telephone while driving?

A: NO. You may only use your wireless telephone in an emergency situation.


More info HERE


Things that aren't illegal while driving:
Changing clothes
Reading a book
Writing a letter
Sun bathing
Knitting
practicing your yo-yo skills.
These are all things you can pick up if you miss the danger of mixing cell-phones and driving.



Maybe keep your bluetooth in the car.
You don't want this happening to you.


No comments: